How long after adding light should I notice more eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Iansmommy, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Iansmommy

Iansmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    I have 14 buff orps hens and 1 roo. During the summer we were getting on average 12 eggs a day. It's been dropping drastically and today I got just 1 egg. We added a light in their coop about 5 days ago and still no increase. I turn in on around 5 am and shut it off around 7pm in the evening.

How long before I notice more eggs? They are eating like crazy but not producing much. I've been feeding them layer pellets and scratch.

Thanks

2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Our light goes on with a timer at 3 am and off at 9 am. We get about 9-10 eggs a day out of 15 chickens.
    When we added the light we were down to 3 or 4 eggs. It took just a few days for them increase some. They need 14 hours of daylight. If you are setting your light to come on a 5, did not see where you lived. But maybe try a little earlier? We use the curly cue light that puts out 60 watts. Might get more eggs if we had a brighter light. But i am satisfied with what we get. Good Luck!

3. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

We chose to only increase the light from 5am - 8am. It took about a week for more eggs to start being laid. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by