How Long After Breaking Broody Will they Lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aghiowa, Aug 8, 2011.

1. aghiowa

aghiowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Hi all! I had an Ameraucana go broody about 2 weeks ago. We broke her in a broody cage for 24 hours, and she has been fine since - eating, moving about etc. But, no eggs since then. Is there usually a lull after breaking a broody before they lay again? I'm a little concerned, because we had another hen stop laying, lost feathers like a molt, and then died about 2 months later of some unknown cause. I don't want that to happen again!

Thanks,
    Angela

2. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    For my only one that goes broody, it takes several (3?) weeks before she starts laying again. She then lays for a few weeks before going broody again.

3. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Mine take 2-3 weeks to start laying again, they lay for a few weeks and the get broody again also. I have one that has been broody for 3 plus weeks this go round and I can't break her. She is getting to be skin and bones.

Mine are ameraucana bantams. Cute, but lousy layers. [​IMG]

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    IMHO takes about a month - 6 weeks. But mine are silkies [​IMG] I haven't had any Australorp or Sussex go broody on me yet... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by