How long after first egg hatches

Taralea

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2019
I have a broody sitting on 5 eggs, 2 of them have hatched 1 2 days ago and 1 yesterday which was day 20 and day 21.
(This is my first time hatching eggs) my question is how long should I leave the other eggs under the hen? I can hear anything from them but the did look ok when I candeled them on day 18.

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_203429_970.jpg
    IMG_20200606_203429_970.jpg
    943.8 KB · Views: 18
I have a broody sitting on 5 eggs, 2 of them have hatched 1 2 days ago and 1 yesterday which was day 20 and day 21.
(This is my first time hatching eggs) my question is how long should I leave the other eggs under the hen? I can hear anything from them but the did look ok when I candeled them on day 18.
the hen will know when it’s time. if she doesn’t i would stop say day 24. ive has some hatch early and i’ve had some hatch wayyy later.

Usually if incubation has started at the same time for all the eggs, they hatch fairly close together. Candle the eggs again, but I'm thinking the two didn't make it and your hatch is complete.

the hen will know when it’s time. if she doesn’t i would stop say day 24. ive has some hatch early and i’ve had some hatch wayyy later.

Will she come off the eggs herself in that case? She gets out and has a drink each day but goes straight back and sits on them

I wait until the hen leads her chicks off the nest. I don't know what your set-up looks like or how easy that is for her to do. I've had hens bring their chicks off with 24 hours of the first one hatching, I've had a few wait until well into the fourth day. Think first hatch Monday night and come off Friday morning. That's really unusual though, usually its the second or third day.
I don't go by Day 21 or Day 24. I've had broody hens start the hatch a full two days early. That kind of messes up counting by day.

So Ive candled one of the eggs just now and this is what I have

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_194636_MP.jpg
    IMG_20200607_194636_MP.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom