How long after first mating/squatting will a pullet lay eggs?

Not super related, but does this apply to sex-links of my own making created from barred females? Or just the typical hatchery kind (gold, red, black sex-links etc.).
I was speaking to the hatchery sexlinks, which are usually high production birds.
The sexlinks I breed, BCM x CL, are not high production,
but I can sell day old chicks that are guaranteed female olive eggers.

I was speaking to the hatchery sexlinks, which are usually high production birds.
The sexlinks I breed, BCM x CL, are not high production,
but I can sell day old chicks that are guaranteed female olive eggers.
Sounds fascinating! I actually have a young BCM cockerel, and I wanted Cream Legbars but that didn't work out. How does the sex-linking there work exactly? Cream Legbar hens don't carry the barring gene I believe...

Also, just out of curiosity, how much do you usually sell your female olive eggers for?

Sounds fascinating! I actually have a young BCM cockerel, and I wanted Cream Legbars but that didn't work out. How does the sex-linking there work exactly? Cream Legbar hens don't carry the barring gene I believe...

Also, just out of curiosity, how much do you usually sell your female olive eggers for?
Yes, CL are barred.
$10 a pop thru the local mill, the next year they grew their own.

Yes, CL are barred.
$10 a pop thru the local mill, the next year they grew their own.
Wow, that's good money! I was thinking about selling some female black sex-link type crosses for $6.

What do you do with the extra males?

I'm asking because my new birds just started laying and I was thinking of making some side money selling barnyard hatching eggs or chicks. (Starting with hatching eggs, those are easier).

Wow, that's good money! I was thinking about selling some female black sex-link type crosses for $6.

What do you do with the extra males?

I'm asking because my new birds just started laying and I was thinking of making some side money selling barnyard hatching eggs or chicks. (Starting with hatching eggs, those are easier).
Well, as you can see it only worked once, then someone else moved in on the market.
Long story, I hate to sell stuff, it's a PITA, but they offered to sell them so I hatched 'em.
The male chicks from that hatch went to a raptor rescue.
I usually slaughter cockerels at about 14-16 weeks.

Well, as you can see it only worked once, then someone else moved in on the market.
Long story, I hate to sell stuff, it's a PITA, but they offered to sell them so I hatched 'em.
The male chicks from that hatch went to a raptor rescue.
I usually slaughter cockerels at about 14-16 weeks.
Oh, that's too bad. I guess that can always occur when selling something that can reproduce.

I hate the visual image of a raptor eating a chick (esp. if they feed them live!), but I guess... I guess that's their destiny. Either it happens to them when they're day old or when they're 15 weeks. Did you give the chicks for free to the rescue?

Back
Top Bottom