How long after hatching before moving them into the brooder?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RiverMan420, Jul 9, 2011.

1. RiverMan420

RiverMan420 RIP 1963-2014

Jun 16, 2011
    This little one just hatched about 2 hours ago and it's almost completely fluffed up.... How long before they can be handled?

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I always wait until the next day myself. They don't need anything to eat or drink right away and the extra time gives them time to fully dry and get their legs under them so to speak.
  3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    YOU SHOULD NOT EVEN OPEN THE INCUBATOR Opening it will lower the temperature and humidity and you run the risk of killing the unhatched chicks. The chick will be fine in with the eggs and its chirping will encourage the others. Even as more chicks hatch it will not be too crowded and they will not injure each other. Leave them alone. They can last three days in the incubator. I would wait until the end of the 23rd day if necessary to allow the others to hatch.
  4. blazensasha

blazensasha Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Old Miakka,FL
    He'll be alright for a good 24 hours or so,I left my last hatch in the bator till everyone was out and that was a day and a half.Two weeks later they're all fine and healthy.Leave it closed and let them hatch.
  5. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Quote:Your question was how long before they can be handled. once they are dry and fluffed out they are ready to come out. They need to be kept at 95 degrees for the first week and then 5 degrees lower each week after that, but they can be out of the temp for a few minutes to be handled. The more you handle it the friendlier it will be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by