How long after leaving nestbox do you pull the babies ?

IwannaBEaMERMAID

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Beverly Hills, CA
My parakeet had 4 babies ( this is her 2nd breeding). the first time she breed it was only her and her mate in a big cage so i felt the babies in there because it was only 2 babies. I then read it was bad to leave the babies in the same cage as the parents and to remove them, so i did. So how long after leaving the nestbox do you remove the babies ? I saw the youngest one still being fed the other three are eating normally but I dont know if they are still being fed here and there.

thank you

I removed the babies from the parent's cage anywhere from 12 weeks to 6 months old... but that was just because I sold them. Never had an issue with parents and their offspring co-habitating. I did remove the nest box when they fledged as to not let the parents raise a second back to back clutch.

If you are trying to hand raise them I want to say about it's safe at 4-6 weeks you can pull them out as long as their eyes are still closed. If you are hand taming them, that's when their eyes are open I think it's at 8 to 9 weeks, but I'm not sure because my mom and I have always hand raised. If they wild, meaning parent raised like I said before no idea.

I love parakeets, I'm trying to breed 2 pairs right now. So far they are just looking at the nesting box like what is it.

Back
Top Bottom