How long after molting until they start laying again?

FaerieGlynne

Chirping
Jan 10, 2016
Clackamas County Oregon
I have a Pekin and 2 blue Swedish, they are all about a year and a half old. They started molting in July, they seem done now, but still no eggs. Will they start laying at all before winter? I'm in Oregon so mild weather for the most and better part.

They usually don't quit laying for all that long. Are you sure they aren't hiding the eggs? And mine don't usually quit for the season until Oct/Nov and I am in NH with much colder winters.

Great question! Mine have stopped laying for the most part too! This is our first experience with molting. It seems like it is taking forever!

I don't think they are hiding them. I let them out at 6:45am and they seemed to have usually laid their eggs by then.
Is there some supplement or something they may be short on? I feed them flock raiser, they have tons of space (though not techniquely free range) and get tons of lovely scraps all the time (fresh veggies, etc)
They seem healthy. I'm perplexed.

I don't think they are hiding them. I let them out at 6:45am and they seemed to have usually laid their eggs by then.
Is there some supplement or something they may be short on? I feed them flock raiser, they have tons of space (though not techniquely free range) and get tons of lovely scraps all the time (fresh veggies, etc)
They seem healthy. I'm perplexed.
They might be laying outside. Mine usually lay before I let them out, but they have been known to lay later in the day. Are they free range or do they spend the day in a pen?

Back
Top Bottom