1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long after rooster introduced are eggs fertile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lauraj2, Jul 18, 2011.

1. lauraj2

lauraj2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2009
    If you put a Roo in with the girls, how many days until the eggs are fertile?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It takes about 25 hours for an egg to go through the hen's internal egg making factory. It can only be fertilized during the first 15 minutes if that journey.

This means if a mating occurs on a Monday, Monday's egg is not fertile. It started its journey the day before.

Tuesday's egg might be fertile or it might not., It depends on what time the mating took place and when the egg started its journey.

Wednesday's egg will almost certainly be fertile.

This is after a mating, not after an introduction. A rooster does not necessarily mate with each hen every day. It just seems that way.

You might want to look through this thread. It shows you what to look for. If you can't see the bull's eye, you might have to gently turn the yolk over. I use a spoon. If most of the eggs you crack are fertile, then you can assume most of the others are fertile.

Fertile Egg Photos
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008&p=6

3. lauraj2

lauraj2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2009
    Thank You! I have a little Buckeye Bantam hen that wants to set but I rehomed my Roo in March. My neighbor gave me some of his eggs for her to have and I think he's had his Rooster for over a month so surely those eggs are fertile and she will hatch them out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by