1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long after the brooding cycle before hen resumes laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dustcover, Oct 18, 2016.

1. dustcover

dustcover Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2016
    One of my Rhode Island Reds, previously a good layer, went through an approximate 27-day brooding cycle. Then snapped out of it just as abruptly as when she started. She's back to daily normalcy with her 7 free-ranging sisters, except for egg laying. How long does it generally take for a hen to resume laying following the conclusion of a brooding period?

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy dustcover

If I break a broody within 2-3 days of her going broody, she normally returns to laying within a week or so.

However, if I let the broody hatch and raise chicks, she may not return to laying until the chicks are 8-12 weeks of age.

This can depend on whether she is one who cuts the cord early or likes to keep her chicks with her as long as possible.

I have either broken a hen or given her eggs, I have not left her broody without eggs for any period of time so I can not definitively answer your question. But, as she has been through the cycle, but does not have any chicks to raise, she may return to laying in a matter of weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by