How long after "trying out" the best box dos your ladies lay?

My EE played in the nest box for a few weeks before we got our first egg. You know you're close when they squat!

My EE played in the nest box for a few weeks before we got our first egg. You know you're close when they squat!

Bummer!!
1f61c.png
But thanks.
I have one BA with large red comb and wattles increasing over the past 2 weeks and as of today, more than 2 fingertips between her pin bones, but no real squatting yet, at least not that I have seen. I'm hoping she's close.
I also have 2 Golden Sex links that will be 19 weeks this week, but only one is barely reddening and minimal spreading of the pin bones, better than a few days ago though. Those girls need to step up their game
1f60b.png

Yes, but usually not till late afternoon or early evening as we are at work most of the day. I have trolled the yard and run for eggs, but alas. None.

Yes, but usually not till late afternoon or early evening as we are at work most of the day. I have trolled the yard and run for eggs, but alas. None.
If they are cooped up most the day, chances are they are not laying out in the range area.
Just bait your nests with fake eggs/golf balls and.... be patient..... hard to do, even now on my 4th batch of pullets I anxiously watch and wait.

Nests are baited and a-waiting.
1f61c.png

My one BA seems the closest and went from 2 finger spaces at the pin bones to a full 3 from yesterday to today. Nice red waxy large comb and wattles too... Just waiting!
We are going on a 9 day trip at the end of August and I just KNOW they will start laying for the house/dog/cat/chicken sitter while we are gone. Little boogers.

I have fake eggs in the nests. Two of the younger (15 wks) like to sit on them. The 16.5 week olds could care less. None have laid yet. Just thought it was interesting that the younger two like to sit on the fake eggs. :fl

I have fake eggs in the nests. Two of the younger (15 wks) like to sit on them. The 16.5 week olds could care less. None have laid yet. Just thought it was interesting that the younger two like to sit on the fake eggs. :fl

That is interesting. Nothing like Chickens to keep us guessing.

Back
Top Bottom