How long are eggs good to hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shiningfeather, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Sorry I am new to this and was wondering how long you can hold on to eggs if you are saving some till a chicken becomes broody? And do you have to keep them at room temp or can you keep in the fridge.[​IMG]

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    According to the book I bought..."best results will be obtained with eggs that are between 24 hours and seven days old and which have been stored in a cool (10 degree C or 50 degree F) place and turned daily."

This is my mini bible called "Keeping Poultry" by Victoria Roberts. I have used it a lot until I found this site. It's practical knowledge and I mix it with the "real life" stuff I learn here.

3. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Thank you so much.......don't really know when she will go broody but would like to be ready when she does.

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    The longer you hold them the less likely you will have a good hatch. Seven days is the oldest to hold them.

5. gckiddhouse

gckiddhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I had the same question. I don't have a place of 50* to keep eggs. I was going to leave them in the coop for a few days. It is down to 50* at night and up to 70* during the day. Probably cooler in the coop than that. I am giving therm to a local. teacher on Monday to hatch in a bator for me.

I also have a broody hen who took a few days to get to setting all day. She did leave the eggs for a few hours on the first couple days.

What do you think?[​IMG]

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Egg viability tends to reduce by 10% for every day over 7.

After 21 days the viability is close to zero.

7. jkpnelly

jkpnelly Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    I was about to ask this same question. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by