How long are fertile eggs laid after the roo is gone?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickintexas, Mar 7, 2011.

1. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    A couple of weeks ago my black Silkie rooster was killed. [​IMG] Voodoo had been happily servicing all of the girls and I know for a fact that at that time the eggs being laid were fertile. His Silkie girlfriend went broody 3-4 days ago and I placed 3 of her own freshest eggs under her to hopefully hatch. I thought I had read somewhere that hens will continue to lay fertile eggs for about 3 weeks after the rooster is gone. Does that sound about right? I had checked one of my Silkie girl's older eggs that was in the fridge and it for sure had the "bull's eye" mark of fertility. Keeping my fingers crossed that the 3 eggs she's sitting on all hatch.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Usually about two and a half to three weeks, and in rare occasions, up to four weeks. I lost a rooster and was getting fertile eggs almost three weeks later. Good luck with the eggs!

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    lol I got two pullets from a good friend and both had been with a few roosters. They have been integrated here and laying for 2-3 weeks now, and the eggs look fertile enough to put in an incubator! I have a friend who asks me to bring some over because she had bators lol. So after 2-3 weeks, my two girls are still fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by