How long are sat eggs good for?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nyna, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Nyna

Nyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    Did that make sence?[​IMG] Anyways, I have two broody hens. I was wondering if I forgot to grab the (infertile) eggs from under them for a day, so two day total, would they still be fine? They were hot! [​IMG] How long would a sat infertile egg stay good for before it goes in the fridge?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmm, I'd say two to three days... shoot, people eat eggs that are fertile and have been incubated for 16 days! It's called Balut.

3. PeiTheCelt

PeiTheCelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    .. wow.. I really wish I had NOT just decided to wikipedia that term.. [​IMG] (I blame myself entirely and it's interesting knowledge, but EEEEWWWW did not need the graphics![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG])

ANYWAY.. To the OP, I think it would be fine to eat it, in Ireland (school year of '98-'99 so we're not talking 50 years ago [​IMG]), my flatmates thought I was a NUT for keeping my eggs in the fridge, and after a few months of watching them store theirs in the cabinets and not die of food poisoning I started doing the same (the fact that the supermarket just kept them in a big floor display helped my comfort with the practice).

You should probably be fine if it's just been a day. [​IMG]

Quote:

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    This morning I ate an egg that had been in the coop since Monday. However, the hens hadn't been sitting on it. That might make a difference.

5. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    I googled Balut as well... I think I'll stick to the cheerios. [​IMG]

Maybe you could crack one of the eggs open and see how far it's progressed. I'm sure it's probably fine though.

6. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Ewww... My stomache was so NOT ready for that... But curriosity got the better of me... I think that Balut diet sounds just like the perfect thing for someone that is trying to loose weight!!! Ewww

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's a delicacy in some cultures! I was being offered $12 a dozen for balut if I had ducks but didn't.

8. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

We were in Costa Rica this summer. In the grocery store the eggs are just stacked up in an aisle, not in the refrigerated section like here in the US. [​IMG]

9. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Yea, I read they're like hot dogs here in America. Probably not any more gross than what's in a bologna or something.

But, I wasn't raised with it and I'll stick to eating what I know.

**Do they incubate the eggs or do the ducks sit on them until D-Day? Maybe you should get some ducks? $12 a dozen, Wow!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by