How long are the eggs fertile for?

farmerbrownsdaughter

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Maple Ridge, B.C.
I can't have a rooster due to nieghbours, but have access to one so I would like to put my girls with him for a week or so
but I'm wondering how long the eggs will be fertile for? And how do I get the girls broody as soon as I get them home? Has anyone had sucsess this way?

I have never tried it that way, but your hen(s) (if in with a roo for a week) you should have fertile eggs for at least 2 weeks, maybe 3. How many hens? I would not put more than 6 or 7 per roo.
About getting hen to go broody??? Some breeds go broody fast some don't go at all. What kind of hens do you have ?

Hi! Are you planning to do this now or in spring?
It's kind of late in the season for broody-hens, but you can try to 'encourage' them to go broody. Put 'fake eggs' in one of your nest boxes (or search for the link to 'making a hen broody'). Sometimes just a nest full of eggs is enough to trigger broody breeds like Silkies and Cochins.
As soon as you see one hen has gone broody, take the other 2 hens to visit the rooster (doesn't need to be a long visit, just a day-trip if the rooster does his job).
You'll probably have fertile eggs for 2 weeks.
So that doesn't give you a big window if you take all 3 hens to the roo.
Give the broody-hen as many of those eggs as she can cover and then try to encourage the other 2 to go broody if you want.
Doing it that way, at least you know you have one broody-hen to hatch your fertile eggs.
Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

We also have Bantam Cochins and Silkies and have found our Cochins to be more broody. We have one sitting on 7 eggs now and she has been very dedicated. We tried it with a Silkie and she lost interest. I don't know if that is typical for those breeds, but we were told Cochins tend to be broody and it has held true for ours. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom