How long are they good for?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by team_realtree, Sep 1, 2010.

1. team_realtree

team_realtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Say for example I left and egg in the corner of the coop and didn't pick it up how long would it be good for without being refrigerated? 1 day? 2 days? I know I can put them in water and see if they float or not but rather than doing an experiment I wanted to ask if any of you guys know. thanks!

2. kgw

kgw Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Tulsa
    All depends on the weather I guess. About a week.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I Europe we don't refrigerate eggs in shops ( for sale) and they are good for 6 weeks or more, but if they were in the corner of the coop they would probably be smashed or pooped on. If I find en egg somewhere, however, I go through the water....must sink, then crack and sniff routine.

Sandie

4. Rockerchic

Rockerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    So glad you asked. I've been wondering the same thing, since my girl plays Easter on me, and sometimes hides her egg![​IMG]

5. ldrwnorman47

ldrwnorman47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    I am also wondering about this. I have read on an earlier post that they are ok room temp for about 6 days. then you could do the float test..BUT i read somwhere if they are washed in water cooler than they are that the absorb that foreign body??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by