How long before giving up?

Oddyse

Songster
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Bristol
Hey guys, if you dont know already I have just become the proud father of two adorable little baby duckies! I was just wondering how long should I give the other eggs before I give up on them? Its now day 29 and the rest of the eggs are showing no signs of hatching, but I dont wanna give up on them just yet! Any advice?

But what about keeping the bator closed? Would they be ok to get out and candle? Let me know what you do and il do the same!
lol.png

Have any others pipped yet. If not take them out and quickly candle them. Im not going to tell you to take them out and open they shells, but im also not going to tell you to leave them alone.
I hatched out yesterday 11 on their own, 5 had zipped 2 hadnt pipped. I took the tops of the eggs and peeled back the membrane so they could push them selves out. The 2 that hadnt pipped I opened the shells. 1 had died and 1 was alive and shrink wrapped so I peeled the shell and outer membrane, sprayed the inner membrane, no veins so popped him out. All of mine were out in 5 hours, minus 1!! Its up to yoiu guys what you want to do. Me!!! I go with my heart and head, I dont wait to see IF they are goin gto hatch...they ARE going to hatch.

Well I'm probably going to get yelled at by some people. I really don't follow that rule
hu.gif

I took out all my ducklings, and the lone chick that hatched and put them in a drying box. I also have a staggard hatch so I still am turning the other eggs in there. I just monitor temp and mist water in there when I open it to keep the humidity stable.

I'm nervous to leave the unhatched eggs in there too long, I don't want the dead ones to infect my others. But I'm not sure how long to wait
barnie.gif

Hopefully a duck hatching guru will come help us out
pop.gif

Quote:
I'm a "helper" too... had to help the bantam chick, and 2 ducks that were positioned funny so couldn't zip. Thats why I am curious if the others can't pip due to being rolled around by the others? My last hatch I used egg cartons so they didn't roll. But this time around I had too many eggs in there to use them.

Well. . . . .gofasterstrip, your advice was good. I opened up my remaining eggs to find 2 of them shrink wrapped and dead, and the other two were a horrible grey colour with horrible stuff ouzing around. A horrible horrible site to see that they were so close to making it but didnt, I feel like I have done something wrong. Really pulls on your heart strings. Well off to the garden I go to bury them. And il look at my two other beautiful babies to make feel better. But definitely good advice, at least now im not waiting anymore! Thank you ever so much, but I do need a cuddle
sad.png

I just candled mine. I saw no motion. Their air spaces are in tact meaning they never made it to internally pip? They are all really red/burnt orange tinted. What does that mean? They were all alive at day 22 when I candled last.

I left the chicken eggs in there as I couldnt see into them well enough, and I had one bantam internally pip, opened the top up so he could finish absorbing. Hopefully this little guy will make it since I already have one bantam chick in the brooder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom