How long before I can put my 8 week old chicks with my older Birds ??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scorpio2367, Apr 15, 2009.

1. scorpio2367

scorpio2367 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    South Coast
    How long before I can put my 8 week old chicks with my olders hens and roosters ???

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd wait about six or seven more weeks.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I try to put my young ones where they can see the older ones but are separated by fencing so they get use to each other before I try putting them together. I agree with speckledhen about waiting awhile. Good Luck!

Oh and by the way [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I think the main issue is the feed they each need. Chicks need starter feed until 18-20 weeks of age to give them optimal conditions to grow. Adult chickens, especially laying hens, need the layer feed to give them the extra calcium their bodies need for producing good eggs and maintaining their health. Chick feed doesn't provide the calcium layers need. Layer feed has too much calcium for growing chicks' digestive systems. So it's best to keep them apart so they each can have only the feed they need.

Older chicks can be let out to free range with adult birds, with supervision at first to make sure no one is getting picked on or pecked at. But keep their feeders separate until the chicks are 18-20 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by