How long before your chicks were mailed once you ordered?

Jul 28, 2018
I'm a bit confused. Ordered several varieties (5 varieties- 30 all together) of bantam chicks from a major hatchery. The website indicated that they were available to be shipped week of June 30th, today. I was careful to only select breeds that were available on that date. I emailed this morning after seeing they were not shipped. Was told they only hatch bantams on Wednesdays this time of year, and I would get an email at some point indicating a ship date. But how could they ship them on a wednesday as they may arrive saturday when post office is closed. Does that mean they would ship them the following monday, meaning they'd be a week old upon arrival? They also said it would depend if all the breeds I selected were available. But on the site it indicated they were.
What were your experiences ordering several different breeds from a hatchery and wait time? Did you ever have to wait several weeks or longer before they shipped? Did they ever ship them out on a wednesday? Did they ever arrive being a week or more old instead of a few days old? I've never ordered chicks online so no idea. I assume all the big hatcheries have similar practices, that's why leaving out name of hatchery. Just wondering because having no idea is hard, especially being a first timer. thx!

I ordered my very first batch of chicks this spring from Meyer Hatchery.
I ordered 11 chicks, 9 different breeds. After I selected each chick and put it in the cart I was offered various hatch dates depending on the combination of chicks I put in the cart.
My chicks were shipped from Ohio and arrived in upstate NY in 2 days.
It is against USDA regulations to ship anything other than day old chicks when shipping chicks, so, no, they will not ship week old chicks.

Ah, good to know. So they will probably ship on a wednesday. Still seems weird though that they would hatch them on a wednesday which means they have to ship wednesday. If they don't arrive friday, totally screwed. My post office is closed saturdays.

I ordered 4 different breeds from mypetchicken.com, they shipped on a Monday, and arrived on a Wednesday! My local post office called at 6 am when they arrived.
They came from the East coast, I think Connecticut, don't quote me though, and took roughly 48 hours to journey to Minnesota.
They will probably postpone your order, or maybe ship in multiple batches if some aren't available.

Back
Top Bottom