how long can a broody hen be off her eggs?

Probably, what day is she on and how warm was the ambient temperature?
This is why I like to confine broodies with one nest and no other contributors.
I wanna say this is day 4, and the weather outside isn't too cold but probably around the high 60's. I'm planning to get her into her own little area for this

I wanna say this is day 4, and the weather outside isn't too cold but probably around the high 60's. I'm planning to get her into her own little area for this
Best move her soon....sometimes that can break their broody.
I like to move them and let them settle before I give them fresh fertile eggs.

I too am learning from this thread and thank you all. It is our second experience with brooding hens, the first not ending positively. This time it seems to be going better; however, we have one hen brooding that we separated from the flock and then another starting sitting and we hadn't gotten her separated when she got off the nest and another hen got on, then got off (probably just laid an egg) so we're hoping the original hen gets back on the eggs. What an experience :)

Well Amy Lea (australoupe) chicken has been sitting on 6 eggs (I numbered them as when she takes a break chickens and other guineas lay in bed nest). We are on day 22 and I am keeping my fingers crossed. When the babies hatch is it o.k. For other chicken and guineas to be around the little ones?

I have several broodies, and they generally do know what they are doing. Some hens will get off once a day, for up to an hour, to eat, bathroom and drink. Some will get off every few days, for just a few minutes. I have seen eggs get cold, and they do hatch. Dont worry......just let mother nature take its course. It has been so hot here, I had bad hatches this spring......but it has been in the high 90's and I am sure that has something to do with it.

I am indecisive as to whether I should use an inexperienced broody or incubator to hatch some langshans that arrived today in the post. I already have month old chicks that another broody hatched. She seems to have lost interest in them as of today?

Attachments

• 18B68C0B-F186-4632-BD0D-2BE5CC471C83.jpeg
    18B68C0B-F186-4632-BD0D-2BE5CC471C83.jpeg
    595.9 KB · Views: 5
I know this is a very old post. LOL.
I have gone round and round with this hen and after different circumstances, I decided after one hatched and was trampled to death to move her and her eggs.
Now she is on strike and won’t sit on them and tomorrow marks 21 days. Nighttime lows have been 40 and highs 80’s.
Any help is welcomed!! Thanks in advance.

I have gone round and round with this hen and after different circumstances, I decided after one hatched and was trampled to death to move her and her eggs.
Now she is on strike and won’t sit on them and tomorrow marks 21 days. Nighttime lows have been 40 and highs 80’s.
When did you move them and how long has she been off them? When did the one that got trampled hatch?

I wouldn't have moved her considering the eggs are literally due to hatch at any moment now.. Are you able to return her?
Worst case, have a heat lamp and brooder ready in case she breaks

Tomorrow she'll have been sitting for one week on the eggs. When we came home today she was out in the yard. More my fault though, because due to space limitations, she's still in the regular coop nestbox where she started, and since everyone was piling on and still laying in that box, I've block off that box to keep them out.

Except that it keeps her in. I've put food and water in reach for her, but she wanted to stretch her legs and couldn't get back in. I've no idea for how long.

It was hot and humid here today (87 degrees) and probably slightly more so in the coop. Is this a big deal or are these eggs no good?

Thanks,
Siouxbee
Well myth busted... I've been wondering the same thing and everyone has different answers.

My hen was sitting on 12 eggs when a Goanna attacked her, she lost two eggs and didnt return to her nest for 6-7 hours at night. That was about 1 week and a half weeks into her sitting. Then some of the other chickens pulled some of the straw out of her nest which let 7 of the eggs roll out onto the ground. They sat out all night (12hrs) at 10 degrees Celsius. I through them back under her in the morning, they where stone cold. 9 out of 10 hatched. Healthy as! Bloody miracle! My own experience 👍👍🤠

Back
Top Bottom