How long can a duck/hen leave eggs for?

DuckCommander

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Alberta
With spring here and opening up the door I had a duck and a hen decide to abandon their nests today. Both were setting duck eggs, I caught the ducks abandonment early enough and with the help of another hen the eggs did not go cold at all. BUT the hen that abandoned her three eggs, I do not know how long the eggs had been left. They are more cold then warm to the touch. Will they be ok? They were due to hatch April 26-28. They are call duck eggs.

Hi I have just read some where for hen's its up to and hour max but if not returned after 2 hour's then put egg's in a incubator,..

Hope this help's..

Gemma x

Last edited:
i use incubators to hatch, so im not sure about how long they can leave the eggs. i can tell you that if the temp in an incubator drops below 70 its usually a loss.

My broody Auracana decided to try to raise a clutch under a bush in my garden I tried to move her and the eggs last night to a safe place ( i have 2cats and 6 other chickens including the Cock) but she abandoned them :( when I came down this am they were all cold. I have put them in the airing cupboard Do they stand a chance?

Oh what a shame!:)iis it too late?:rolleyes: She has gone back to sitting in the bush but I moved all the eggs last night so what now? Should I try putting them back under her? Or perhaps a couple of my hybrids eggs?

I put the eggs back under her and left her with them now for I think 3 weeks and no sign of any checks how long should I leave her on them for?
Will she self regulate and leave them after 3/4 weeks if nothing happens I am worried about her health if she sits too long

Gill

Back
Top Bottom