How long can a fresh laid egg be unfrigerated and be safe to eat?

I am so excited to see this thread, I was just thinking today that I needed to ask the same question about how long a egg is good for and if it needs to be refigerated. I do have 1 more question, is it ok to refigerate the eggs when you bring them in? Or is it best to leave them out on the counter?

This is a great thread.
thumbsup.gif
I have been refridgerating mine unnecessarily it seems. I also wondered why they were IMPOSSIBLE to peel if I hard bolied them
he.gif

Here is what I did last year with my first batch of chickens. Freshness is going to depend on ambient temp too, so to get a gauge on how long my eggs stayed fresh on the counter, I numbered and dated each one with a pencil (date on paper, number on egg). Do this and consume eggs FIFO or lowest number in order. It's kind of fun to track production rate and weight too if you're up to it.

Make sure you have always have a cache of eggs on the counter so that it can age, and consume less than what y get so that the eggs you are eating have a chance to age.

You will notice right away when your eggs change consistency. I like to consume them while the whites are still firm (for fried eggs), so once you hit an egg that's starting to go down, it's time to boil the lot.

Quote:
gif_31_10-1.gif
Hi harebrainedschemes! When I get into the suspicious batch of eggs I will definitely examine each of them closely for any irregularities. I won't risk it for sure. I do like the suggestion of feeding those "bad" eggs to the chickens and/or to the dogs for a special treat. Thanks for posting!

Quote:
gif_31_09-1.gif
Hi Hopper! I found that real interesting reading on this thread about not having to refrigerate eggs! I've seen in magazines and movies eggs on the counter but I thought that was just a decorative touch.
tongue.png
By the way, be a little more patient and I know you'll be seeing eggs from your hens very soon. As it turns out for us, our girls were laying eggs everywhere but in their nesting beds we had set up for them!
lol.gif

Quote:
gif_31_09-1.gif
Hi Mom x 1! I too have learned so many new things since joining this great forum the other day! Thanks for posting.

Quote:
gif_31_03-1.gif
Hi real_redhead! I'm a newbie at this but I don't see any harm in refrigerating eggs. I have learned from the members here that if you for some reason "wash" your home laid eggs, you then will need to refrigerate them or eat them soon because you've removed the "protective"membrane from the egg. Store bought eggs are all washed beforehand...and I guess that's why we've refrigerated them and thought it was necessary for all eggs.

Quote:
gif_31_10.gif
Hi bawkbawkbawk! I found your blog really fun and interesting to read! Thank you for sharing your link with us. I now know that the "protective" membrane/covering I was referring to in the above comment is actually called the "bloom". Wow! I do love learning new things. I also found it interesting to learn that the rough "sandpaper" surface on that one egg of yours was caused by your hen going overboard on eating alot of oyster shells! Love that!
lol.gif

Quote:
gif_31_10-1.gif
Hi lowry075! Isn't that interesting about the freshest eggs are harder to peel when hard boiling them?! We learn something new every day!
tongue.png

Quote:
gif_31_10-1.gif
Hi MakNugget...thanks for your all of your good advice! I have started penciling in the dates on the eggs I bring in now.
2thumbsup-Copy.gif

Thanks to all our members for your interesting and much appreciated postings! You guys rock! Lisa
party-Copy.gif

Last edited:
I never refridgerate either. If I think they are THAT old I just let the chooks or dogs have a feast. There are more where those came from!
wink.png
I can taste fridge smell/taste when I eat a fridged egg.....
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Hi Beekissed! You say you can taste "fridge smell" when you eat a refrigerated egg? WOW! The hard protective shell of the egg doesn't keep those odors out? You have amazing tastebuds!
tongue.png

Egg shells are porous and even with the bloom they can absorb odors and eventually bacteria as the bloom wears off. Mine seem to absorb that stale fridge smell and I can taste that aftertaste in the eggs....and, yes, my tastebuds are superlative! They are not dulled by eating a lot of processed foods, drinking highly carbonated drinks or smoking of cigs. My olfactory senses are equally developed, so those smells seem exaggerated to me and can often come across as taste...they are hard to separate.

This is the best read for egg longevity
smile.png

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx

My bottom line is I keep them on the counter if unwashed, and when I pack them for customers once a week (I bring them to work), I will float test all of them and then refrigerate.

It's good practice with ANY egg, no matter what, to crack it into a separate bowl every time before adding it to the dish you're making. In the off chance you get a funky egg, you won't mess up your entire batch of food, just pitch the egg and get a new dish to crack eggs into before adding to the mix
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom