How long can broody hen be off her eggs before the eggs won't be viable?

Chang1993

Songster
6 Years
Jan 12, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Hello guys, I was wondering about my young broody pullet. She left her eggs for 12 hours. Will my eggs hatch on the 21st or 22nd day? I am California and the temperatures are low 40s.

CluckNDoodle

Hatchaholic
Premium member
Jan 12, 2019
Georgia
Hello guys, I was wondering about my young broody pullet. She left her eggs for 12 hours. Will my eggs hatch on the 21st or 22nd day? I am California and the temperatures are low 40s.
With her being off of the eggs for so long I would say it's likely that there will be a delay. A good broody hen will wait for chicks to start hatching, they aren't counting the days so you should be fine even with a late or slightly staggered hatch. Every broody is a little different but most of them will wait somewhere between 1-3 days once the chicks start hatching to give all if the chicks time to hatch.

silkiekeeper

Crowing
May 16, 2018
SE Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I've seen a broody hen off her nest for about an hour or two (in warmer months) and all the eggs were fine and hatched. If yours has been off the eggs for a couple of days, I would put the eggs under a different broody or try hatching in an incubator. Sounds like she lost interest, so I wouldn't trust her at this point.

Chang1993

Songster
6 Years
Jan 12, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Thanks for the replies @silkiekeeper and @CluckNDoodle , she has lost interest at this point due to a pair of blue jay always goes inside my coop and eating up every single eggs day by day. The eggs are 2 weeks old, so she might lost interest of 8 out of 16 eggs are eaten. I have many problems with blue jays a lot. I know I should put her in the garage in the first place.

Top Bottom