How long can chickens be left alone?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by keepitlow, Oct 31, 2010.

1. keepitlow

keepitlow Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2009
    When you on vacation can you get by with leaving them alone for a week?

If not, how do you get your birds looked after?

Thanks

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Find a neighbor or family member to look after them! A weeks just too long!!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Have an automatic waterer... and LOTS of feed. But I'd still have someone look in on them.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I never leave them longer than overnight. You just never know what could happen.

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I would be ok with leaving mine for a period of time (days) simply because I have neighbors, friends & family to check on them. It's not really hard to make sure they have food & water. The downside for them would be that they wouldn't get to free range while I was gone & we'd miss each other.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Even if you have a secure, covered run for your birds (where you might feel safe leaving your pop door open), I think a week is too long to leave your birds unattended. I'd find a neighbor, a relative, a local teen who needs to make a little money to stop by at least once a day just to check on them. Even the large feeders/waterers can get knocked over on occasion, and you always want to be aware of the predator situation.
    I'm lucky that I have a sister-in-law who also has pets. So we trade pet-assisting services from time to time... I'll go feed her dog is she's running late, and she helps out with my chickens if I'm gone for a weekend. The last time we were gone for a week, I paid a pet sitter (19 yr old daughter of a work mate) to care for them (but I also have dogs/cats).

7. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I have a friend come over twice a day to tend to and check on the animals. I pay her a small (token) amount because she's a good friend and she gets to keep all the eggs she collects.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I've left for 4-5 days at a time and would have for much longer if I didn't have to get back to feed the dogs again. I free range at all times and the dogs watch them for me. I put down enough food and water in the coop for the time I am gone and leave without a worry.

But then, not everyone has my setup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by