How long can egg stay in nesting box?

kimbirder

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2023
We nobody collect the eggs in the morning or soon after they are made. However, we were not home today and expect to have 4 eggs in our boxes when we get home.

It is currently 92° outside.

How long will the eggs stay safe to eat in this heat?

I personally don't like to leave eggs in the next box very long especially when it's very hot or cold. I don't know exactly how long till they are not safe but I wouldn't feel comfortable eating an egg that sat all day in + 90 heat. One trick I use to keep my hens more comfortable while laying and keep the eggs cooler till I get them is put water frozen in 16 oz pop bottles nestled in the ends and/or sides of the nest box material (wood chips and long pine needles in mine). They stay frozen for a while cause the nesting material insulates them and provide some cooling. My hens seem to like it and don't seem to mind the bottles.

The nesting boxes are in full shade until later in the late afternoon. So maybe they would be ok.

Would the float test tell me if they were ok?

The nesting boxes are in full shade until later in the late afternoon. So maybe they would be ok.

Would the float test tell me if they were ok?
Float test just gives you a rough idea of how old the egg is. You already know the age of the egg, so it won't tell you anything more than that.

I would be fine eating these eggs, there's more than a few folks that don't pick up eggs daily, but you can push them to the front of the line so they get used up first, if it makes you nervous.

Back
Top Bottom