How long can eggs be out of the incubater when removing fron egg turner?

rburington

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2020
I have an egg incubator that holds 2 racks of eggs in egg turners. When I reach day 18, I am supposed to remove the turners with the eggs, and put the eggs back into the incubator on the screened floor.
I'm thinking this process will expose the eggs to much cooler and dryer air for several minuets. Do I have to heat the room or will this process harm the eggs/chicks inside?
How do you all do this?
Thanks

It's a good question. When I go from incubation to lockdown, usually with 28 eggs but sometimes more, I take all eggs out of the turners and safely set them down so they don't get cracked, generally on a towel. I take the turner out, add water to the reservoirs, and make sure the screen is positioned correctly. Get the incubator ready. Then I candle each egg to see if I discard it or put it back in the incubator. As I candle them I put them back in the incubator or to the discard pile.

I don't stop halfway through and go eat supper, then enjoy a bowl of ice cream before getting back to work. I get on with what I'm doing. But I don't get in a hurry where I might drop one or bang it against something and crack it. Slow and steady, you have time.

I don't know how long it takes me, I've never checked my watch. Probably not as long as it seems. Know what you are going to do and do it, you have time.

It's a good question. When I go from incubation to lockdown, usually with 28 eggs but sometimes more, I take all eggs out of the turners and safely set them down so they don't get cracked, generally on a towel. I take the turner out, add water to the reservoirs, and make sure the screen is positioned correctly. Get the incubator ready. Then I candle each egg to see if I discard it or put it back in the incubator. As I candle them I put them back in the incubator or to the discard pile.

I don't stop halfway through and go eat supper, then enjoy a bowl of ice cream before getting back to work. I get on with what I'm doing. But I don't get in a hurry where I might drop one or bang it against something and crack it. Slow and steady, you have time.

I don't know how long it takes me, I've never checked my watch. Probably not as long as it seems. Know what you are going to do and do it, you have time.
Thanks I used to have a small incubator and I turned by hand so didnt have to think about it. Now there are a lot to work with. But it sounds like it will be fine. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom