How long can eggs sit in the coop?

SDR

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 19, 2011
This question probably exist somewhere here but I give up on looking.

My girls just started laying and pretty much do so mid day so I collect early evening. We took a weekend trip and after making sure they had plenty of food and water for the couple days, we left mid day with no eggs laid yet. Came home two days latter, late evening and collected eggs. In reality some could have been sitting in the coop three days but I don't know which ones. My question is how long can eggs sit in the coop in the summer average high temp 80's

Still good? Opinions?

Thanks

I'm no expert on disease, however, I just traveled via sailboat for a week in 80+ degree weather and we left the eggs out all week. They were on a shelf in the shade. To me, they actually tasted better! The woman we traveled with is from South Africa (hot hot hot) and grew up on a farm, her grandmother would leave them out all the time.

Perhaps some one will have a differing opinion, but I think 3 days is totally fine. Enjoy!

A friend of mine taught me a cool little trick to see if they're ok... get a bowl and fill it with cool water. Then add the eggs and see if they sink or float. If they sink to the bottom, they're ok to eat. If they float all the way to the top, feed them to the dog or throw them out... If the float, but not all the way to the top (still covered in water, but not sitting on the bottom) my friend uses them for baking!

Thanks for all the input. They didn't float so they will be breakfast soon enough.
big_smile.png

I often leave eggs out 2 or 3 days if I am out of town, can't tell a difference. Even when it is hot, my coop is in shade and isn't as hot as it would be out in the open. I also use the float test if in doubt. If my eggs turn up on the end but don't float to the top, they are ready to hard boil and then pickle. I am currently keeping my pickled eggs refrigerated, is this necessary? I see pickled eggs left out on the counter in stores and bars.

Back
Top Bottom