How long can eggs wait before being put in the bator?

Munkeesmama

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
California
I just ordered an incubator. I have no clue when it will actually arrive. I'd like to either pick up some eggs locally or get some shipped, but if they arrive before the bator, how long can eggs be out without putting them in the incubator and affecting the hatch rate?

A week to 10 days if stored correctly. Best temp range to store is 50-55 degrees. Turn the eggs twice a day to avoid the yolk sticking to the shell. I know getting your first bator can be exciting, but it would probably be a good idea to wait until you get the bator before getting eggs IMHO. You never know how long it will take to get it, and you want to make sure it's working properly before putting in eggs.

You should wait until your ordered Incubator is in-the-house before getting the eggs. Have it all set up and then pickup or order the eggs. The fresher the eggs the better hatch rate you will have. Goodluck!

This site has great information on storing and turning eggs. It is also a good one to read before starting incubation for other pointers.

Texas A&M Incubation site
http://gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/b6092.pdf

When storing eggs for incubation, I set up the automatic turner in a relatively cool room in the house. This way I don't have to worry if I turned them, how often I should turn them are my hands clean before I handle the eggs. I stole this idea from JoeBryant who borrowed it from someone else on this forum. Of course it only works if you have an automatic turner.

I also fully agree with getting the incubator frst and making sure it works before you get the eggs. I had to reset the dip switches on my 1588 to get it to hold temperature. It was a bit frustrating before I figured out what was wrong. (Read the instructions!!!)
he.gif
It would have been a lot more frustrating if I had eggs waiting to go in.

Definitely wait until you get the incubator, and time your egg arrival so that you have a few days to fiddle with the incubator to get it right before you set the eggs.

I have the Suro, and even as automatic as it is, it took me three days of messing with it to figure it out what worked to raise and lower temperature and humidity (my problem was mainly getting the humidity high enough-- I'm setting duck eggs).

It's well worth taking a few days to mess with the machine to get to know it before you put anything you care about in it!

Back
Top Bottom