How long can goose eggs sit?

My geese have been laying a ton of eggs and not sitting. How long can I keep them at room temperature before they are unviable for hatching? What about for eating?
What is a ton of eggs? How many? Two weeks is what is recommended for storing hatching eggs. After that viability lowers. What kind of goose is she? I have stored eggs in the fridge and had them hatch. Just be sure you put them in an area where the temperature is not freezing or close to it. In my experience refrigerators have cold spots that you would want to avoid. An incubator may be a good option for you.

They are best held for 1 week; however, I've done up to 2 weeks before with some limited success.
I refrigerate my eating eggs, so I don't know about that but I'm sure someone will chime in.

I have 3 embdens and there are 2 nests. By a ton of eggs I mean I have about 2 dozen that Ive taken in the house and theres another 2 dozen outside right now.
It is surprising they haven't gone broody. If they were mine I'd use an incubator with the current eggs; if I wanted goslings. It's doubtful the older eggs would still be viable, but it might be worth a try. Taking all the eggs and making the geese start over may restart a befuddled reproductive cycle in the geese and result in them going broody. Currently, I don't have geese, but I have had to restart cycles in my ducks and bantams with a high rate of success. It's not always easy to understand why cycles in birds sometimes go awry and breaking the cycle often gives the best. results.

It is surprising they haven't gone broody. If they were mine I'd use an incubator with the current eggs; if I wanted goslings. It's doubtful the older eggs would still be viable, but it might be worth a try. Taking all the eggs and making the geese start over may restart a befuddled reproductive cycle in the geese and result in them going broody. Currently, I don't have geese, but I have had to restart cycles in my ducks and bantams with a high rate of success. It's not always easy to understand why cycles in birds sometimes go awry and breaking the cycle often gives the best. results.
Our winters have been all over the place. Its gotten up to near 80 at noon and then dropped down to the 20s by midnight several times. Im guessing its either that or because this is their first season. Ive had chickens collect eggs for weeks and weeks before sitting on them and got an almost full hatch but Ive never hatched geese.

Ive seen them sitting and pulling down and they got the eggs covered with some straw. So it looks like they are thinking about going broody but then change their minds.

Our winters have been all over the place. Its gotten up to near 80 at noon and then dropped down to the 20s by midnight several times. Im guessing its either that or because this is their first season. Ive had chickens collect eggs for weeks and weeks before sitting on them and got an almost full hatch but Ive never hatched geese.

Ive seen them sitting and pulling down and they got the eggs covered with some straw. So it looks like they are thinking about going broody but then change their minds.
My flock is in a similar condition. How old are your birds? (Oh, I see a post that says it's their first year...) I've read that they aren't really mature until year 2, but our 1-year-old flock hatched a few last year. We are free-ranging, so leaving it up to them to learn how & when to brood...

My flock is in a similar condition. How old are your birds? (Oh, I see a post that says it's their first year...) I've read that they aren't really mature until year 2, but our 1-year-old flock hatched a few last year. We are free-ranging, so leaving it up to them to learn how & when to brood...
I didn't have internet access for a couple of weeks. One of my girls started sitting a bit after my last post and she hasn't gotten up more than an hour at a time since. One nest was completely abandoned and varmints got the eggs. The third nest which is inside a nice comfy coop was sat on for a bit but the goose that was sitting on them keeps getting up for a long time.

There was a lot of fighting over that nest. The rest of the flock kept attacking that female. I'm not sure if it's because the third female wanted to sit on it or maybe they were attacking her for being a bad mother but there's been a bit of a war going on.

Back
Top Bottom