How long can i leave bumblefoot where the chicken is not weight bearing on that foot

I have watched a few videos online. I'm wondering how to people manage to keep the feet really still. My chicken keeps pulling her legs away and is so jumpy that it makes it difficult to keep going. She will also close up her claws. I tried for around 30 minutes today but as I wasn't making progress I then just bandaged again with antibiotic cream.
I am also wondering whether it might be better to try to make an incision on the top of her foot and drain it that way?

I just laid mine on it's back in my lap but she may be used to it since I do that monthly when I trim nails & dust them. Try wrapping her in a towel, her wings need to be bond and kept controlled so as not in your way. Just make sure you got all your stuff laid out and within reach. Instead of trying to squeeze, for now just keep up with the treatment & wrap.
Checking with your Vet would be the best idea IF you're not ready to take on the task.

I was getting very discouraged with the soaking, Prid & wrap everyday (over a week). I have no clue if the Prid caused the puss come to "head", that was a real enticement for me to squeeze (got this things about squeezing lumps), will all I had but like @coach723 stated "despite it hurting now, once all that is out she will feel much relief" and so will you.

I have watched a few videos online. I'm wondering how to people manage to keep the feet really still. My chicken keeps pulling her legs away and is so jumpy that it makes it difficult to keep going. She will also close up her claws. I tried for around 30 minutes today but as I wasn't making progress I then just bandaged again with antibiotic cream.
I am also wondering whether it might be better to try to make an incision on the top of her foot and drain it that way?
Did you roll her in a towel and cover her head?

My husband held her and we placed a cloth over her head. I might roll her in a towel today. Might be easier.

Thank you all so much for all your help. I managed to get the hard plug out today. Made an incision and it bled but I just sqeezed and eventually it came away. She was in pain during that process but once the plug came away she seemed so much more relaxed. Have flushed with leucillin and then packed with neosporin.
Will do her other foot in a couple of days and keep using salve on that one as it is not as bad. I feel so much happier. Glad it is out. Will sleep better tonight.

Attachments

• 20230724_123229.jpg
    20230724_123229.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom