How long can I leave chicken feed?

Is it adjustable in any way? Doesn't enough feed flow into the trough so it's reachable? Too high off the ground for your birds? It does look good, but that doesn't show how feed actually runs into the trough.
Mary

Hello, I was wondering how long chicken layers pellets last in the feeder? I have a huge feeder and I don't think the chickens can reach the food if I only put a small amount in however I don't want to fill it and end up wasting food in the long run. If I filled up the feeder enough for them to reach, how long will the food last before going stale? TIA

The feed will probably keep about as well in the feeder as it would in the bag from the store, as long as it stays dry and no other critters eat it or poop in it.

Is it adjustable in any way? Doesn't enough feed flow into the trough so it's reachable? Too high off the ground for your birds? It does look good, but that doesn't show how feed actually runs into the trough.
Mary
I can remove the feet but I don't think that's the issue. I reckon you're probably right about not enough feed flowing into the trough! I'll try filling it higher and see what happens:)

I reckon you're probably right about not enough feed flowing into the trough! I'll try filling it higher and see what happens
Filling it higher doesn't matter. It's the gap between the edge of the container above and the base trough, that is where the feed flows out. That gap is what sets the level of feed in the trough. Some are adjustable, some aren't.
Pics of your feeder, both empty and full, might help us help you figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom