How long can it takes from the first piping to the last hatching ?

Dave500

In the Brooder
May 1, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I'm new in this community, I hope that you can help with my interrogation.

I had five eggs of brahma chicks in incubation. Yesterday (thursday the 29/04) was day 21:

- At 7 AM that day, I had one piping on the wrong side of one the egg. The chick manages to get it through and at 3 AM the friday morning, it was there and looks great
- At 12 AM that day, I had another piping on the right side if another egg. This one did get out this friday morning around 7 AM

The three other eggs does not show any evidence of piping. The two newly hatched chicks are having fun with them.

What time should I wait for the three others to pip? What should I do if they show no signs of piping at the end of this day?

Do you now how long can it take between the first piping on the first egg and the last hatching?

Thank in advance for your advices!

Regards,

David

It can take 3-4 days for them all to hatch sometimes. Are there any external pips right now on any of the eggs?

Hi Mgg,

Thanks for your answer. No, unfortunately there's no sign of external pips on the two remaining eggs.

I did remove the two first to put them in the brooder. They're doing fine. I did that in my bathroom à 37°C and with hot water in the bath to prevent the humidity to drop quickly. There was no sign of external pips. So I decided to candle them:

One was dead for sure and we confirmed that with my wife by opening the egg. The yolk was not absorbed at all and he was not completely developped. He certainly died around day 18.

The two remaining were very dark on the main part (70%) of the egg, the air cell was really clear on both and I could not see any internal piping (nor the beak in the air cell).

We decided to make the float test in 38°C water. The eggs were barely above water level. We could not see any movement after waiting 2 minutes.

We then decided to put them back into the incubator and we add two wet sponges to boost humidity back up. We now hope that they are still alive...and will pip soon. If nothing happens from here to saturday night, I'll throw the eggs away :'(

Hereunder a pics of the two first under their hot plate ;)

IMG_20200501_155629.jpg

Any shared experience would be greatly appreciated ;)

Regards,
David

Hi Mgg,

Thanks for your answer. No, unfortunately there's no sign of external pips on the two remaining eggs.

I did remove the two first to put them in the brooder. They're doing fine. I did that in my bathroom à 37°C and with hot water in the bath to prevent the humidity to drop quickly. There was no sign of external pips. So I decided to candle them:

One was dead for sure and we confirmed that with my wife by opening the egg. The yolk was not absorbed at all and he was not completely developped. He certainly died around day 18.

The two remaining were very dark on the main part (70%) of the egg, the air cell was really clear on both and I could not see any internal piping (nor the beak in the air cell).

We decided to make the float test in 38°C water. The eggs were barely above water level. We could not see any movement after waiting 2 minutes.

We then decided to put them back into the incubator and we add two wet sponges to boost humidity back up. We now hope that they are still alive...and will pip soon. If nothing happens from here to saturday night, I'll throw the eggs away :'(

Hereunder a pics of the two first under their hot plate ;)

View attachment 2117185

Any shared experience would be greatly appreciated ;)

Regards,
David
I wouldn't ever float test live eggs. It is for eating eggs only to tell if they're still edible. I don't know who came up with the float test to check life in the eggs, but it doesn't mean a thing. I used the float test on my very first hatch, and the float test was wrong. I threw out almost 10 live eggs. I dropped one on the way to the trash and it was alive! I went amd checked the others. They all were alive. It was heartbreaking. There was nothing I could do. Please don't trust the float test. It also drowns the eggs. Water seeps through the pores and it can drown them. Only candling is reliable. I'm guessing those 2 were in cool spots in the incubator. Just leave them be for a day or two and see what happens. Let us know if they hatch! Your chicks are cute.

Thanks for the answer. Well...unfortunately it's done now. I took care of drying carefully the egg before putting them back.

We will see. I'll let you know!

This morning (saturday 2/05) day 23, there are still no signs of external piping on the two remaining eggs. I'll wait until tomorrow morning. If there's still no signs then I'll stop the incubation :'(.

It can take anywhere from 24-72 hours from external pip to hatch. There really is no time limit. They hatch when they're ready.

I usually am hands off because they need time to absorb the yolk and breathe air so the veins can recede.

Thanks for your answer. I'm just getting worried because de first two eggs pip on tuesday morning and hatch yesterday. The two remainings eggs does not show any signs of external piping yet (and they do not move...).

Back
Top Bottom