how long can my incubator be down before damage is done.

neonewman

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Hi,
We lost power for 18 hours. I was not home when this happened, therefore i could not do anything to keep the heat longer in my wooden hen incubator. I started it back up around 7am this morning. just wondering if it will make a difference, or should i scratch the hatch, and start over? The eggs were all in various stages of incubation. some due to hatch within the next 3 days up to 2 weeks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
neonewman

Hi,
We lost power for 18 hours. I was not home when this happened, therefore i could not do anything to keep the heat longer in my wooden hen incubator. I started it back up around 7am this morning. just wondering if it will make a difference, or should i scratch the hatch, and start over? The eggs were all in various stages of incubation. some due to hatch within the next 3 days up to 2 weeks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
neonewman
I've not experienced this but what I'd do is candle and look for life in the eggs, as time goes on, smell to make sure that you don't have any that are ripe for exploding. After reheating for a few hours and when candling feel for heat in the eggs as dead eggs will cool off quickly in your hands. But I'd not assume they were killed until I see blood rings and lack of veining.
Really wishing you good luck. Please let us know how it goes as this is valuable info and should be passed on.
fl.gif

Thank you for your input.
I took your advise, and am proud to say i am having some chicks hatching at this very moment. I don't see any abnormalities in any of the eggs so far that are still growing. I am so very pleased, for i was sure i had lost them all. My wooden hen incubator is amazing. thank you again.

Thank you for your input.
I took your advise, and am proud to say i am having some chicks hatching at this very moment. I don't see any abnormalities in any of the eggs so far that are still growing. I am so very pleased, for i was sure i had lost them all. My wooden hen incubator is amazing. thank you again.
yay!!!!
clap.gif
Another success story. I'm hoping that others read this and see that there is hope.
Down in my signature there is a great link about hatching eggs. Take a look and say hello to Sally Sunshine and all the hatchers on her thread. :)

Back
Top Bottom