How long can she keep this up?

Vickilynn45

Songster
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
I have a 32 week old Black Australorp who was laying for me every day. She would never lay in the nest box, but chose a spot in the garden under the tomatoes. Once we harvested the garden, her private spot was gone and she threw a daily fit wanting me to fix her a spot somewhere private to lay. No matter how many times I put her in the nest box, she just hopped right back out and laid her egg somewhere else. About 1 1/2 months ago she stopped laying completely. She seems healthy, and I continually check the backyard for eggs in case she is laying somewhere else. But there are none. How long can she keep this up??

Possibly she has an ultra secret laying spot or she just doesn't think it is the right season for reproductivity. Hens typically slow down or stop completely around fall/ winter and start right back up in spring. Hopefully making up for lost time. ;) supplement lighting may help..

I hope that when spring comes around she starts back in. I don't think she has a laying spot in the yard as our yard is small and fenced and there really isn't anywhere she could hide it. I was hoping that when the cold really hits, and they stay inside the coop most of the time, that she'll get a hint from watching the others. Thanks for your reply!

Well nice to hear from someone else in Lander! When we had some really nice weather about a month ago the BA started laying again about three days in a row, but then stopped. One egg was laid in the corner of their coop where she made a nest and the others were laid under a tarp by the straw pile lol. The EE has never laid an egg yet so I'm hoping that will change come spring time!

Back
Top Bottom