how long can you leave egg in nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by delfargo, Nov 2, 2010.

1. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

we are going out of town for a few days and i was wondering how long you can leave eggs in the nest? i gather eggs daily, (sometimes twice, depending on if there are any to gather - my girls are just starting to lay, so i'm only getting 3 or 4 a day) but was wondering if it would be o.k. to skip a day or if i should have a nieghbor gather them while we are gone. thanx for the info.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    It *should* be okay to leave the eggs for a day. The temps are really the biggest issue, as long as it's not freezing cold or blazing hot they'll be fine.

Going out of town for a few days....I'd have the neighbor feeding and watering and tell them to keep any eggs they find. [​IMG]

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    If your neighbor would be so kind to check on your chickens while your away. I would tell him to take the eggs they lay. This will be reassurance that your chickens will be safe. I'd also ask the neighbor to check the water & feed for them as well. Hope you have a good trip & your chicks are safe.

4. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    My neighbor loves to watch my chickens when I'm gone. He gets paid in eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by