How long can you store eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zippychickens, Aug 25, 2008.

1. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    My daughter wants to sell our eggs at our churchs craft show. It is 5 weeks away. will eggs last for five weeks in the fridge?
    Thanks.

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I think the ones you buy in the store are close to 5ish weeks old...

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Last week I visited my mom and her store bought eggs were laid June 15 and June 18, and didn't expire until end of August. So I think you'd be ok with 5 weeks

4. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    From Mother Earth News:

"Eggs refrigerated in a sealed container will last for about seven months. Their whites may become somewhat runny but smell and taste will remain good. Start with the freshest eggs available, of course, and don't wash the bloom off - that will increase the porosity of the shell."

5. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    We try to use up eggs within a months time. Anything that is 4 weeks we hard boil.

Quality deminishes as time goes on. So the fresher the better.

We usually don't have the problem of old eggs in the frig. I usually have to stash a dozen so we can get hard boiled eggs.

6. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Many many years ago my grandmother raised fryers and eggs for a large company. She had a big building we called the egg house and it was for nothing but flats of eggs until the truck picked them up. None of the egg crates were dated. The egg house had lots of eggs in it before the truck arrived. The egg house only had open vents in to of the walls for keeping anything cool. No refridgeration. So the ones in the store are probably lots older than you want to know. Of course grandma had her farm back in the 60's and I'm sure things have improved.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Ive heard that an egg ages more in 1 week sitting on a counter, than 1 day in the fridge.

8. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    I think I'll be ok with 5 weeks until the craft show. I'll have my daughter sell the freshest first of course. She is so excited.
    Thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by