How long do chickens live?

Chickesn can live up to the teens.They stop layin ga round 3 and a half years,but can keep breeding.

Quote:
Funny my roosters about the same age and he is mean,and really doesnt care for the hens much more.

I have 2 rhode island reds about 1 1/2 yrs old. One attacks me and the other is docile. The docile one still lays about 5-6 eggs a week while the aggressive one(LULU) is moulting and hardly lays now. Hopefully she will lay after she finishes moulting(4-7wks).

I have two easter eggers, and they are four years old this spring and they are still laying one lays a egg a day and the other lays every two days or so sometimes more this spring
they so far are healthy, they did slow down this winter though but picked up big time this spring.
the other one is two years old and she lays just about every day with a slow down this winter.
and when they are moulting they don't lay.
I have four new babies to add so when the big girls slow down a bit for winter the babies will be just starting up.
of course I had a one yr old chicken just up and die on me two years ago don't know why on that one,

LOL that is a good one, this spring the older hens have been laying everyday now one is moulting,
it is getting hot here so they are getting rid of their winter feathers,
they seem to molt one at a time,
babies are now 11 weeks old. four of them

When they get old enough, sign them up for Medi-cluck....

Hahaha! Nice one.
1f414.png
1f414.png

I have been free ranging mine. I feel like they get a better quality of life for them although I do occasionally lose one or two to a predator.
1f615.png
It makes me sad but also keeps my flock population in circulation so I can always get younger chicks who will continue laying. Personally, I am not against eating your chickens on a theoretical level, but couldn't do it myself. Maybe I should stop naming them after grandmothers. Lol

Back
Top Bottom