How long do chickens live?

Very interesting thread! So many factors come into play when putting an "average lifespan" on chickens. Every flock is different, every breed, all the genetics, environment in and around the coop and run, etc... This is a difficult question to really pin point over all. Some people will experience long living birds and others short on the life spans.

My oldest group of Australorps is 5 years old. They still have quite the vigor but are starting to have laying issues. Thankfully I have different ages in the flock and still getting the eggs. I will be very interested to see just how long they do live. :)

my neighbor and I joke about building a retirement coop for the" change of life" ladies. I don't think I could ever part with any of my girls, so I guess I'm in it for the long haul!

Our hens are short living hens
barnie.gif

They've only lived up to like 7 years!?

we don't kill them or anything so I wonder why they are dying so early
idunno.gif

Higher production birds seem to die earlier than slower bigger breeds, seven years is a good long decent life for a chicken.

interesting thread!
does anyone know about how long wyandottes, EEs, or marans will lay or live? We just started raising chickens this year and these are what we got. I believe wyandotte and marans are considered heritage breeds.

interesting thread! 
does anyone know about how long wyandottes, EEs, or marans will lay or live? We just started raising chickens this year and these are what we got. I believe wyandotte and marans are considered heritage breeds.

Wyandotte can lay up to about 7-10 years and live 13. Don't know on Marans and the EE would depend on which brown layer was used.

Back
Top Bottom