How long do chickens live?

Our hens are short living hens
barnie.gif

They've only lived up to like 7 years!?

we don't kill them or anything so I wonder why they are dying so early
idunno.gif
Many production breeds don't even make it this long.

7 years is a good long life for the average chicken. Some can live a lot longer, but they don't all live into their teens.

as long as they stay healthy do my banties have the potential to live as long as an average sized chicken. i have a japanese bantam, sebrights and some mixes of the two.

I once had a hen I loved like a friend. But she got sick and died. I got her late November 2014 and she died late November 2015

I once had a hen I loved like a friend. But she got sick and died. I got her late November 2014 and she died late November 2015
Seems like we always loose our favorites first and sooner than the others. I am so sorry.
hugs.gif

Here is my oldest white leg horn hen. She is over 17 yrs old. She looks a little "rough" & I have been thinking, (every day for the last 3 years), that she is going to die today. She is still here and happy!
P.S. She still lays an egg about once a week.

Last edited:
Here is my oldest white leg horn hen. She is over 17 yrs old. She looks a little "rough" & I have been thinking, (every day for the last 3 years), that she is going to die today. She is still here and happy! P.S. She still lays an egg about once a week.
That's one extraordinary chicken, wow.

Here is my oldest white leg horn hen. She is over 17 yrs old. She looks a little "rough" & I have been thinking, (every day for the last 3 years), that she is going to die today. She is still here and happy!
P.S. She still lays an egg about once a week.

Wow, bless her heart!

Back
Top Bottom