How long do chickens live?

Here is our oldest chicken, she is a Belgian booted d'Uccle (Barbu d'Uccle). We got her the same year as

our Aussie-mix dog. He passed away in April this year, she is still going strong. We were still showing her until a few years ago, she won her last best of breed when she was 10!

Here is our oldest chicken, she is a Belgian booted d'Uccle (Barbu d'Uccle). We got her the same year as

our Aussie-mix dog. He passed away in April this year, she is still going strong. We were still showing her until a few years ago, she won her last best of breed when she was 10!

She is so beautiful!

Sorry, forgot to include the year we got her--2000! That makes her 16 this year.

RIP my 17 year old hen. She died last week. We had a very hot week in California. Even with the misters & watering down the yard, I guess it was just too hot for her.
I am so sorry. But it is inspiring and amazing that she lived so long -- you must have taken wonderful care of her, and she must have been a very happy hen to want to stick around for so long.

Oldest living chicken (according to Guiness World Records) died of heart failiure at age 16. None older than that. I think that under the right conditions a healthy happy bird can live to be 6-8 yrs old. We never lost to a predator (yet) and we've had chickens for quite some time now
"Yankee Doodle" my Show Quality Competition and Breeding Cockerel.

So morbid but while we're on the subject..what do you guys do with your chickens who die of 'natural' causes? I'm getting our first girls on Saturday and this has been weighing on my mind.

Back
Top Bottom