How long do chickens molt for and what does it look like?

Pics
Chickens can molt at any time in their life. Normally, it is in their second autumn and each autumn thereafter. You will see shed feathers all over the coop and run. The birds will start looking very shabby.

Australorp. It is a combination of the words Australia and Orpington. Australorps were developed in Australia from Orpingtons.

Hey y'all! I've had my chickens for about two years, but they have never molted. Do they always molt? One of my Astrulops(probably spelt that wrong) has feather missing around her face, but I'm almost positive that she has kept on laying. Thanks in advance!

The adult molt generally starts about 18 months. Some get through it gracefully and others look a little rough around the edges. If want to help get through faster can increase protein to replace lost protein through loss of feathers to encourage new feathers. Or just weather it through. Some keep on same feed and add protein snacks like mealworms or seed cakes while others switch to flockraiser or special molting chicken feed. Both suggestions available at your TSC. Generally 8-12 weeks the molt lasts.:frow :)

Here is a link on molting:
https://countrysidenetwork.com/daily/poultry/feed-health/when-do-chickens-molt-video/

Chickens can molt at any time in their life. Normally, it is in their second autumn and each autumn thereafter. You will see shed feathers all over the coop and run. The birds will start looking very shabby.

Australorp. It is a combination of the words Australia and Orpington. Australorps were developed in Australia from Orpingtons.
Thank you! Thanks for the spelling help too! Haha!:D

The adult molt generally starts about 18 months. Some get through it gracefully and others look a little rough around the edges. If want to help get through faster can increase protein to replace lost protein through loss of feathers to encourage new feathers. Or just weather it through. Some keep on same feed and add protein snacks like mealworms or seed cakes while others switch to flockraiser or special molting chicken feed. Both suggestions available at your TSC. Generally 8-12 weeks the molt lasts.:frow :)

Here is a link on molting:
https://countrysidenetwork.com/daily/poultry/feed-health/when-do-chickens-molt-video/
Would the fact that they eat organic feed change anything? Thanks for your relpy!

Would the fact that they eat organic feed change anything? Thanks for your relpy!

Depends if you want to change your protein then have to find higher protein in your organic feed if think want to add extra protein while possibly molting like 20%. May also try just adding organic high protein snacks to help increase new feather production with current feed and see how it goes. I wouldn’t break organic practices. I think you can accommodate both.

Back
Top Bottom