How long do ducks take to hatch?

Quote:
So I got home and 1 has pipped more! I heard it chirping and saw it moving. Is that considered a "zip" once they have a few pips in a row? How long after they start zipping?

Yes, pipping is a single punch, zipping is when they move all the way around the egg creating a "zipper" to allow the top to seperate from the bottom of the egg. It can still be hours before that duckling is fully hatched though. They rest ALOT during hatching. Congrats on the zipper, can't to see you announce it has hatched. Remember do NOT open that bator until all ducklings have hatched. They can live just fine in the bator w/o food and water thanks to the yolk they absorb. If you open to early the remaining eggs could not hatch.

Quote:
How long do they usually take to zip all the way around? Mine still just have 3 pips in a row and its been 24 hours. I started talking to them and as soon as I did I heard chirping and it pushed out on the last pip that it made, but it doesn't seem to be making any more. I am worried that I need more humidity so they can turn and pip more. I can add more water from the side, but I also don't want to add too much and make them sticky. Thoughts? Thanks for letting me pick your brain!

Quote:
Temp, 99.5. And I don't have a hydrometer
hmm.png
I have the cheapo chickubator (just holds 2-3 eggs) and the directions just told me to fill up one of the hollow legs with water...

Quote:
I know...I hate not having one. But this is my first hatch, so next time I know!
smile.png
Hoping they start making a little progress soon! This is so nerve wracking!
Okay, thanks!

I have 3 duck hens and 1 drake. All 3 females went broody and 28 days later they are all hatching. The drake is spending time with all of them and even snuggling with one female on ducklings while the other Female eats and bathes. They started hatching yesterday but there are still eggs and the hens are hissing mad if you get anywhere close. The ducklings follow any of the adult ducks and are now all cuddling under one together. I'm having so much fun watching this, I just thought I'd share.

So 12 hours with no pips chirping or movement is normal with ducks?
Q
How LONG does it take for an incubated Muscovy duck egg to hatch AFTER you hear the peeping coming from the egg? I don't want to wait too Long & take the chance of the baby dying inside of the egg...?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom