How long do ducks take to hatch?

Islandmom511

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2011
I'm on day 29 and they pipped around 7 last night and 1 of them made a few more pips shortly after. I even heard chirping. But as of this morning (12 horus later) they haven't made any progress and I don't hear any chirping
sad.png
I know they say ducks are notoriously long hatchers, but is this normal or do you think I lost them?
hmm.png

between breaking through the membrane into the aircell and putting the first crack in the egg can take around 24 hours- then another 24 hours before they start to unzip. They dont have much room left to move anymore by that stage- I find mind will be fairly quite until they start to unzip- thats when i really start to hear them. How is your humidity? If they are too dry the membrane can stop them from being able to turn to unzip.

Quote:
Great info, thanks! Not sure on humidity...I dont have a hydrometer. Im using the cheapo "chickubator" and he directions just say to fill one of the hollow legs with water. I hope theres still hope!

Dont give up hope yet... they may just be resting while they absorb the yolk and blood from the veins. If you sit very still and peep at the incubator- they may hear you and you may detect a faint sound or a slight wobble of the egg. Its those few hours you are going through now that are always the ones when I get most nervous. I have a few eggs that have just been taken out of the turner so in a day or so I too will be nervously watching for a wiggle or signs of life.
A little condensation on any glass or perspex is a sign of plenty of humidity- not so that water is dripping down- but if you are concerned- is there some way you can spray some water in through a vent?

They will get very still and quiet for between 12 and 36 hours (usually close to 24) between the pip and hatching. They are resting and absorbing the yolk. This is necessary for them to be strong and healthy when they hatch. The worst thing you can do at this point is fret and intervene.

It is also normal for some of them to expand the pip a bit, and others not to, during this period.

It is also normal for it to take up to three days (but usually closer to two) before they are completely hatched, including many long breaks during the process.

Keep your temp right and your humidity up and leave the incubator closed. It's the absolutely best thing you can do for them. Also leave the house if possible so you're not fretting.
smile.png

Quote:
Just got home from work and the one that only had 1 pip now has 2 or 3 and I saw it moving and heard a little chirping. Not much since that little bit of action. Teh other egg doesn't have any progress since last night. There's no condensation inside, but there is still water in one oft the legs. They've done well so far with just water in the leg, do you think I should still add more? I don't want to drown the little guys...I heard you can do that...next time I will get a hydrometer for sure!

Quote:
This is great info! Thank you so much! After gettign home from work one has a few more pips and I heard it chirping and saw it moving a little. The other hasn't made any more progress, but its only been 24 hours since its first pips. I have been realy good at not touching or opening the lid (BYC has scared the daylights out of me on lockdown, lol). Thansk again for the info and I'll keep you updated if we get any action!

Back
Top Bottom