1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long do eggs last to save before incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nelgkel, Jul 23, 2010.

1. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    We get fertilized eggs from the farmers market and thought we would try to hatch a few. How long after gathering can we save them for before incubating? We got them yesterday at the market~they were gathered on WEdnesday and Thursday and we will get our incubator on Monday.
    Thanks!!

2. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I think the general consensus is 6-7 days, but I've read on here where some have hatched out eggs as far out as 10 days. Given your time frame I think you'll be fine. Keep them in a cool place, but don't put them in the fridge. Store them with the pointy end down until they're ready to go in. I'm planning/hoping to do my first batch of eggs on Tuesday. [​IMG]

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Some people will tell you as far as 3 weeks. Some people will say 7 days. Personally I wouldn't try for it if it'd been more than 10 days, as around there is when the viability of the egg begins to decline.

If you are getting them from a farmer's market, I would make sure to ask how the eggs were stored, as this can also make a difference in viability. If the eggs were refrigerated, you may still have a chance, but it's probably going to be less. Some people swear by refrigeration here- I personally wouldn't bother incubating a refrigerated egg.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This link talks a lot about storing eggs for incubation. I think it will help you. if you read it closely it kind of says "This works best but this will work too".

Texas A&M Incubation site
    http://gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/b6092.pdf

What I'd suggest is to store them in the coolest place in your house but not in the refrigerator and turn them by hand a few times a day. If you get a turner with your incubator and it is a type you can remove and plug in, store the eggs on the turner while you are stabilizing your incubator.

Hens will often hide a nest and lay eggs for more than 2 weeks then hatch them, so don't over-obsess on the age of the eggs. You should do OK.

1 person likes this.
  5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    14 days is the limit for viability.... Then the chances go down expotentially

6. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    thanks so much everyone! I am storing the eggs pointy end down, also I get the eggs unwashed, unrefrigerated...basically straight from the nest to egg carton to me AND they are less than 36 hours when I get them!

Can't wait to get our incubator on Monday.

thanks for the info to read, I am sure it will be very helpful

7. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Just remember to store them in a cool place. We take a shoe box, then wrap each egg in a couple peices of newspaper and then set them in the box. Newspaper is just so that they are less likely to break. 6-7 days they should still be good. Good luck with your eggs!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by