How Long Do Eggs Last

chickado

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
LORIS, SC
After I collect my eggs, how long will they last at room temperature or is it best to put them in the refrigerator?

Eggs in my refrigerator go pretty fast...but I have two growing boys that can flat out eat!

Oops...you wanted a real answer...I have found that hatch rates start dropping off fast after about day 7...some folks use refrigerators but they usually turn the temp way up on them 60 or so degrees

If you want to hatch I'd say day 6 or 7 is max I'd think they would all be stable at that point you'd start loosing some.
If you mean to eat, I leave mine on the counter for about the first 7 days until I decide wheather to hatch or not and then put them in the fridge. They are good to eat for a couple months after that
smile.png

I have read (probably here), they will last up to two months if they are not washed prior to storage. Washing removes protective coating on the shell, thus reducing storage time.

I've read somewhere that some people freeze their eggs? Does anyone know how long you can keep them frozen?

Quote:
MP had a post about this once (you could try to search it, or ask her) She said you could crack them in to cups or somthing and then freeze them, she did say she would only use them for cooking since the texture of the egg can change after freezing (some dont think so)

You could keep fresh unwashed eggs in the fridge for at least a few months (cant be any worse than the store eggs that sit a while)!!

i thought they changed the law and made it so that the grocery stores HAD to have their eggs in cooler, not in the asles any more because you can get just as sick from eggs stored at room temp as you get when you keep chicken out for 3 days before deciding to eat it..........
hmm.png

Eggs are made to last. An experiment done online showed they were still edible after 6months in the fridge. Odds are you will use the eggs long before they go bad or else you need more neighbors.
tongue.png

People say for every day they are on the counter they age equal to 1 week in the fridge. Some other countries (and I don't mean 3rd world) do not refrigerate eggs for sale. They leave them sit at room temp. All my older relatives that used to raise chickens left the eggs sit in 5g buckets with no air conditioning. They and the people they sold or gave eggs to went through more than a bucket a day without anyone ever getting sick. If you collect eggs frequently and don't keep any of the really dirty eggs your not much more likely to find a bad egg in the ones left sit out in your kitchen than the ones you put in the fridge. They just need to be used sooner than if you refrigerate.

Back
Top Bottom