how long do fertile eggs last?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rosyposyosy, Jan 2, 2008.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    if you were to incubate, how long would they last before hatch rate goes down?

2. Charlie Chicken

Charlie Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Phippsburg, ME
    Un-refrigerated fertile eggs can stay viable (alive) for as much a two weeks. After that fertility will drop off rapidly.

3. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    un refriferated fertile eggs???????

Fertile eggs should remain viable for an avg of 7 days in a 60-70 degree enviroment.

If you refrigerate you kill.

4. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Quote:
    "It may not be practical for you to place the eggs in an incubator as soon as you get them. If not, keep them in a cool, humid room. The best storage conditions are near 55 F. with 75 percent humidity. The vegetable section of your refrigerator is a suitable area. The temperature should not drop below 40 F. or hatchability will be reduced. The cool temperature will delay embryonic growth until incubation begins, and the high humidity will keep the eggs from drying out."

from "The Avian Embryo" http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/avianemb.htm

I've
    hatched a few refrigerated eggs (they had only been in there a day or two), but hatchability is definitely affected overall, so I wouldn't recommend it.

5. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    We had a discussion about what temp an egg would freeze (28* F, by the way) Most have found that shipping in cooler temperatures helps keep the fertility, as opposed to hot temperatures that can kill the egg. Just a thought. [​IMG]

I remember reading in several places that 10 days is the max to push fertile eggs.

6. Charlie Chicken

Charlie Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Phippsburg, ME
    Quote:That's why I stated un-refrigerated. un... means not.

7. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    When I first read Charlie's post, I interpreted it as being able to refrigerate fertile eggs, but unrefridgerated lasting longer. [​IMG]

8. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Whole foods has fertile eggs, if I have seen people here hatch them then ,yes they can still hatch from refridgerator.

9. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I've successfully hatched eggs that were refrigerated for 7 days before being put under a broody. It's not recommended, but it can be done.

10. Buffmama

Buffmama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2013
    Medina, NY
    This is so funny. My neighbors' brother came over the other day to look at our chicks. He was appropriately impressed[​IMG]. Well he started on about hatching our own eggs and if we were going to. Then he asks if we are going to wait until the chickens laid enough eggs then have them all hatched at once. He started to explain about refrigerating the fertile eggs until there were "enough" for hatching. Said his neighbor did this frequently for her love birds. I thought he was pulling our legs. Oh well, guess I learned something new even if a bit unusual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by