How long do fresh eggs stay fresh?

In the UK, eggs are not refrigerated in store. Most people who use them for baking do not refrigerate them when they get them home either, as you cannot bake properly with cold eggs (apparently). Your cakes won't rise properly, and may even sink in the middle, if you use eggs directly from the fridge!

I keep my eggs on the counter-top in a ceramic egg holder, and use 21 days (from the date they were laid) as a rough guide.

if you dont wash the eggs and wash the bloom of which is naturally on eggs they will last for months the eggs that you get in the store are several weeks old when they get put on the shelf if you do need to wash them coat them with food grade minral oil and they will still last at least 2 months in the fridg. but unwashed in the fridg. at least 6 months

Last edited:
I got my first two eggs today, I work from 5 am to 2 pm most days. I found the first egg at 3 pm and the second around 5pm in the outdoor run area of thier coop. Do yall think they would still be good? And is it strange the eggs made a facebook posting I even called my dad who is still waiting on his first eggs.

Eggs will stay fresh longer if not washed or refrigerated when you take them from the hen. There is a protective coating from the mother when they are laid that allows them to stay fresh without refrigeration. When they are washed this is removed and they need to be refrigerated from this point on. However, not washing them and leaving them at room temp on the kitchen counter keeps them good the longest. I lived all summer on a farm where we practiced this technique with great results. In south Georgia, not "another country" lol. Also, as long as eggs are out of direct sunlight, they will be fine if not picked up for a couple days. Always float them before eating to make sure they are still good. Sinkers are winners. Floaters are bad. They will stay fresh on the counter, unwashed, for at least 3-4 weeks. I've seen many stay fresh longer. Only down side to leaving them outside a couple extra days is the possible attraction of snakes or other animals that will eat them and/or harm the chickens. Then they also know where to go next time to find more eggs. Hope this helps clear up the confusion.
smile.png

I have been curious about that to. With temps in the 80's now what if you forget to collect for a couple days are they still good? Say you take a weekend trip somewere
A couple days in 80s is no problem at all. Just always float them before you eat them to make sure they're good (they will sink). I have done this many times.

So, after reading all of these... here is what I "gather" lol..... if unwashed and not refrigerated, okay to leave on the counter for 3 to 4 weeks. If washed well and refrigerated or not washed at all and refrigerated, okay to leave in frig for 12 to 14 weeks. When getting close to end time, float them to make sure they sink before eating to verify still good. Does this sound good?

So I did a little research, because I did not fully understand the post.
When you speak about the date stamped on it, that date is represented as Julian time.
If the number were "322", you are correct it is November 18th.
This number is based on a 365 calendar year - which I didn't get a first!
With that being said, here is a good Julian date calculator from NASA : http://www-air.larc.nasa.gov/tools/jday.htm
Thank you for the post, I learned something today!

Poultry in Europe are vaccinated for Salmonella so there is no need to "scrub them clean." They're sold with the bloom intact and are not refrigerated.

Poultry in the US aren't vaccinated and so the USDA requires the "icky stuff" be washed off. This includes the bloom that keeps them sealed. Therefor they're sold refrigerated.

Seems a bit bass-ackwards to me... Once my girls start laying I don't intend on washing refrigerating unless I get a particularly "icky" one.

Back
Top Bottom