How long do I have to incubate after laying

bert428

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
I was wondering how long do you have to start the incubation process after the egg has been layed? Is it best to refrigerate the egg once it is layed till you can incubate it? I ask because I travel out of town on business and would have to incubate while I'm in town. Thanks for the help.

You can refrigerate them, but it's best to incubate them within 7 days of them being laid without refrigerating them.

I see I stand corrected as far as refrigeration goes. I stated that you can out of experience. I have hatched Welsummer eggs that have been refrigerated for a few days on a whim, so that's why I stated that you can. It is better, however, if you do not refrigerate them before incubating. Your hatch rate will be much better.
wink.png

Last edited:
Do not refrigerate eggs that you want to hatch. Keep them somewhere that is around 50 degrees. 24 hours before putting them in the bator put them in normal room temp.
Always store pointed end down in a carton.
Could turn a bit once a day.

Each day that goes by decreases hatchability. Most people say not older than 7 days.

Hope that helps
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Fertile eggs are good for 7 to 10 days, sometimes alittle longer but fertility drops the longer they have set around. No refrigeration but kept in fairly cool spot in the house. I keep mine in a carton in the laundry room til I have enough to incubate, tilting from side to side 2 or 3 times a day to help keep the blastoderm healthy.

Back
Top Bottom