how long do i need to keep ducklings in brooder with heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by redhen, May 21, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    hi..i'm a new duckling and chick owner..i was wondering just how long do i need to keep ducklings in the brooder with a heat lamp?..they are 5 days old now....also...when can i let them swim in a little bit of water?...i have them and my chicks together right now..and it is getting a bit messy with them all together..i want to put the ducks in a rubbermaid tub..but i dont want them to get chilled..so..any help will be greatly appreciated..thanks.

2. peacockmama

peacockmama New Egg

May 14, 2008
    Charleston AR
    We keep our duck babies in a large black plastic deep tub for at least 10 days. When they leave that cage they go into another cage with a heat lamp on a timer for night only to let them acclamate.

It depends on the tempereature where you are.
    If it is still 40* to 50* at night, it's too cold.

We don't put them near water they can get in until they are several weeks old but, we tend to be very careful with them. I have seen mother ducks take babies to water within a day or two of hatching.

The wind is their biggest problem. If they are in a protected area, they can swim and be without lights quickly, again depending on outside or room temp.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Generally two weeks minimum. But you want to start reducing the temperature daily by moving the heat lamp higher up.

It also depends on the night temperature. If it's not dropping below 50 where you live, you can get them outside at two weeks... but only if they have protection from wind, rain, not sun and predators.

Quote:Very shallow water is fine now. But ducklings and goslings drown very easily when all covered in fluff. I would not let them in water, unsupervised until they're at least a month old.

4. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Last summer, when it was in the 70s I let my week old chicks in a shallow pan with 1/2 and inch of water for 5 minutes. They loved it. Then I took them out and let them dry off in the sun. They'd end up back in their brooder with the heat lamp the rest of the time. I never allowed them to get sopping wet.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks everyone for the replys...i moved them to a rubbermaid tub..with the heat lamp...these little guys or girls(dont know sex yet)..are just the best!..they climb up on our laps to snuggle!..peep and look for me when i call them..i just love them!..thanks again for the info..

6. trents chooks

trents chooks New Egg

Jan 21, 2013
    my duckling just hatched 2 days ago and they love water they swim in warm water 2 times a day the water is about 20cm deep and they love duck diveing splashing around and drinking the water. i say the earlyer the beter. when you think think of duck you think messy wet and they love water. thats what they are meant to do. let them start early just 5 mins twice a day. they love it!!!!!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's fun to watch them diving and having fun.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by