how long do i need to keep ducklings in brooder with heat lamp?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
hi..i'm a new duckling and chick owner..i was wondering just how long do i need to keep ducklings in the brooder with a heat lamp?..they are 5 days old now....also...when can i let them swim in a little bit of water?...i have them and my chicks together right now..and it is getting a bit messy with them all together..i want to put the ducks in a rubbermaid tub..but i dont want them to get chilled..so..any help will be greatly appreciated..thanks.

We keep our duck babies in a large black plastic deep tub for at least 10 days. When they leave that cage they go into another cage with a heat lamp on a timer for night only to let them acclamate.

It depends on the tempereature where you are.
If it is still 40* to 50* at night, it's too cold.

We don't put them near water they can get in until they are several weeks old but, we tend to be very careful with them. I have seen mother ducks take babies to water within a day or two of hatching.

The wind is their biggest problem. If they are in a protected area, they can swim and be without lights quickly, again depending on outside or room temp.

Quote:
Generally two weeks minimum. But you want to start reducing the temperature daily by moving the heat lamp higher up.

It also depends on the night temperature. If it's not dropping below 50 where you live, you can get them outside at two weeks... but only if they have protection from wind, rain, not sun and predators.

Quote:
Very shallow water is fine now. But ducklings and goslings drown very easily when all covered in fluff. I would not let them in water, unsupervised until they're at least a month old.

Last summer, when it was in the 70s I let my week old chicks in a shallow pan with 1/2 and inch of water for 5 minutes. They loved it. Then I took them out and let them dry off in the sun. They'd end up back in their brooder with the heat lamp the rest of the time. I never allowed them to get sopping wet.

thanks everyone for the replys...i moved them to a rubbermaid tub..with the heat lamp...these little guys or girls(dont know sex yet)..are just the best!..they climb up on our laps to snuggle!..peep and look for me when i call them..i just love them!..thanks again for the info..

my duckling just hatched 2 days ago and they love water they swim in warm water 2 times a day the water is about 20cm deep and they love duck diveing splashing around and drinking the water. i say the earlyer the beter. when you think think of duck you think messy wet and they love water. thats what they are meant to do. let them start early just 5 mins twice a day. they love it!!!!!

my duckling just hatched 2 days ago and they love water they swim in warm water 2 times a day the water is about 20cm deep and they love duck diveing splashing around and drinking the water. i say the earlyer the beter. when you think think of duck you think messy wet and they love water. thats what they are meant to do. let them start early just 5 mins twice a day. they love it!!!!!
It's fun to watch them diving and having fun..
welcome-byc.gif

I think you'll need a heat lamp for at least a few weeks. You don't say where you live which does matter. You can put it in your account profile and it will be very helpful.

I would suggest using a kiddie pool for a brooder. Not a good idea to leave water standing that they can get into. They will get chilled very quickly and may drown too. You'll need a water dish that they can't get into but yet can stick their heads into to clean out their nares.

I really like using the puppy pads. It makes clean up a snap. That platform the waterers are on is actually a tray covered in hardware cloth so that most of the water spills go into the tray. If you are going to give them treats other than the regular duck food be sure to pick up a little bag of chick grit because they'll need that to properly digest their treats.
IMG_0469.JPG

9Z5YUyVwQi2IAj19em+zig.jpg

Back
Top Bottom