1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long do I wait to open eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 19hhbelgian, Sep 24, 2009.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I have eggs in the incubator. They are just on 21 days, but ABSOLUTELY nothing [​IMG] I have a Serama that just hatched and I put him in 2 days after the brabanters. How long should I wait until I open the eggs if nobody hatches? I've been going down every chance I get to see if there is any action on the brabanter eggs, but to no avail... It's very disappointing - I SO wanted to start a brabanter flock! HOPEFULLY I'm just being impatient [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I am super excited about the serama though. He's from my Roo Sunny & my hen, Checkers [​IMG]

2. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    I understand your feelings completely.

I had 1 silky hatch on day 20. 1 silky hatch on day 21. I had one pipping on day 21 but the chicks decided to play soccer w/ his egg. I think it may have died.

I have like 12 more eggs and I'm on day 22 and I don't think they will make it. I was told to wait till day 23, then I am going to open them myself.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Oh boy... I don't know if I can last that long. I think I might go crazy before that! here's [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] for the BOTH of us!

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I have read that you can place the eggs in a cup of warm water and watch to see if tehy bob around after you give them a chance to settle but I'm not sure what day it is safe to try that on. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by