How long do Mama Ducks take care of their babies?

donnavee

Crowing
13 Years
May 7, 2009
Hillsborough NC
Just curious - had a Gray Call hatch out 7 ducklings on Wed so they are still just a few days old and she is a very attentive and protective Mama. But, even at this young age, I can see them getting a bit more adventuresome and wonder how long the Mama normally takes care of them? Even though it is pretty warm here in NC, I notice that she has them under her a few times a day. Possibly they are just sleepy.

I would think she would keep them fairly close for at least a couple weeks. Probably warm weather a bit less time than cold weather. Eventually they will get too big to fit under her. Ducks grow pretty fast.

She is begging for me to let them out of their enclosure now. All my ducks free range during the day, but I don't feel comfortable letting her out with the little ones unless I'm there to supervise. Guess I'll devote a little time today to babysitting. My other broody is hatching hers today - I'm hoping they are close enough in age to get along together. Ducks, Ducks everywhere!
wee.gif

Just as an update, had another call duck hatch 10 babies 4 days after this one. We sold most of them but each Mama got to keep a few. They are about 3 1/2 wks old now and both Mamas still dote on them. I let them all out with the rest of the flock for a few hours a day and so far all has gone well and if a little ones gets separated from Mama, he definitely lets everyone know about it. Daddy call duck has even accepted his little ones.

Just as an update, had another call duck hatch 10 babies 4 days after this one. We sold most of them but each Mama got to keep a few. They are about 3 1/2 wks old now and both Mamas still dote on them. I let them all out with the rest of the flock for a few hours a day and so far all has gone well and if a little ones gets separated from Mama, he definitely lets everyone know about it. Daddy call duck has even accepted his little ones.
Sounds like 1 big happy flock Congrats!!

Oh, good! I hope my ducklings integrate with the flock that easily.
They should if hatched by mama duck. Mine have fit right in except we have clicks going on here. Our oldest drakes girls hatched out the ducklings we have and so my youngest drakes girls will pop the ducklings if the get to close just enough to make them holler.
roll.png

Yeah, the two Mamas can get a bit testy with the other babies, but not enough to injure, just a little "stay out of my way" warning. Since the little ones are so close in age I'm thinking they will eventually hang together. Right now, Mama is their main concern.

Back
Top Bottom